Eye twitching is an involuntary movement where eyelid muscle engage in a repetitive spasm. The twitch often happens in the upper eyelid but can sometimes happen in the lower eyelid as well.
In most cases eye twitching is mild and harmless, but it can be very bothersome. Most twitching resolves on its own and may not happen for a long time again.
In different cultures eye twitching is linked with different superstitions. In some cultures, right eye twitching is a superstition that indicates happy or worrisome thoughts. In others, right eye twitching superstitions are only linked to good news. Based on this belief, these cultures can tell what is about to happen if your eye twitches.
Right eye twitching superstitions are very prominent in four cultures. Since superstitions and other considerations differ widely, we will take a look at these separately. First off, take a look at what the Chinese culture has to say about right eye twitching superstitions.
Chinese Superstitions about Right Eye Twitching
Right eye twitching superstitions from China have a lot to do with the time your eye twitches. Here is breakdown of how that works:
- 11:00 pm-1:00 am. If your right eye twitches around midnight, it is believed that your right eye twitching superstitionindicates that you will get invited to a party.
- 1:00 am -3:00 am.In the wee hours of the morning, your right eye twitching means that someone is thinking about you.
- 3:00 am- 5:00 am.At this time, a right eye twitching superstition indicates that a happy event awaits you.
- 5:00 am- 7:00 am.Right eye twitching superstitions for this time of the day are again positive. If your right eye twitches during this time, it means that everything will turn out fine.
You can see that the very early hours of the morning come bearing good omen if your right eye twitches. But as we progress into dawn and daybreak, right eye twitching superstitions take a turn. The signs linked with the next few hours are usually signs of warning. Here is how they go:
- 7:00 am- 9:00 am. Your right eye twitching during this time warns you to be cautious as there may be a slight chance of injury.
- 9:00 am – 11:00 am.The right eye twitching at this time is a warning that you may get into a quarrel with someone.
- 11:00 am -1:00 pm.This time is dire as the right eye twitching superstition cautions you to tread carefully. Otherwise, disaster may befall you.
The right eye twitching superstitions in the later part of the day once again become positive. The positivity continues over the next few time frames like this:
- 1:00 pm -3:00 pm.If your right eye twitches in this time frame, it means that something happy is about to happen.
- 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm.Right eye twitching superstition in the evening means that you will think of a dearly beloved person.
- 5:00 pm- 7:00 pm.If your right eye twitches, it means that someone from far away will visit you.
- 7:00 pm- 9:00 pm.If your eye twitches in this part of the day then you are likely to attend a big gathering.
- 9:00 pm- 11:00 pm.The final time frame of the day becomes grim once again. If your right eye twitches in the final two hours of the day, before the cycle begins again, then you may face some court related trouble.
Now these are a lot of right eye twitching superstitions in the Chinese culture. But remember that the ones mentioned here only pertain to the right eye. There are an equal amount of superstitions linked to the left eye twitching as well!
In conclusion, the Chinese consider right eye twitching superstitions to be both positive and negative. The negativity or positivity of belief is determined by the time of the day.
Indian Superstitions about Right Eye Twitching
While Chinese superstitions have their base in the time of the day, Indian superstitions do not take clock time into account. Instead, unlike China, right eye twitching superstitions in India have more to do with gender and the part of the eye which twitches.
For the most part, right eye twitching superstitions in India indicate a good omen. The left eye twitching, however, holds the opposite meaning. Good news that could possibly result from your right eye twitching could mean any of the following:
- Maybe you will make some money
- You may come across successful in a venture.
- Or you will receive some good news.
But the other factor which predominates right eye twitching superstitions in India is the gender of the person. For example, if a woman’s right eye twitches, it is considered a bad sign. But if the same happens to man, then it becomes a good sign.
As far as which part of the eye twitches is concerned, the discrimination is based on five parts. For example,
- If the pupil of theeye twitches, it is a sign of good luck.
- If the middle part of the eye twitches then look forward to some monetary gain.
- If the upper eyelid twitches, then you should expect some worrying moments.
- If the lower part of the eyelid twitches then you may need to spend some money.
- If the eyebrow twitches, then it may be a sign of receiving some good news.
African Superstitions about Right Eye Twitching
African superstitions linked to right eye twitching can also signify either good or bad news. For example, it is believed that twitching of the lower eyelids suggests some harsh news. This piece of news could easily cause you to shed some tears. However, if the upper eyelid twitches then you may receive an unexpected visitor.
Hawaiian Superstitions about Right Eye Twitching
The Hawaiian people also have their own interpretation of right eye twitching superstitions. Most of these have to do with the left eye twitching and can be interpreted as the following:
- If the left eye twitches, it indicates the arrival of a stranger.
- If the left eye twitches, it could be an indication of an upcoming death in the family.
- Finally, if the right eye twitches, it could signify the birth of a child.
Non Superstitious Reasons for Eye Twitching
Whether superstition has anything to do with it or not, eye twitching happens when eyelid muscles contract and relax. Involuntary twitching, however, can be caused by having dry eyes, suffering from conjunctivitis or being sensitive to light. Plus, if you have not had sufficient sleep, or are highly stressed, you may find your eyes twitching.
So, regardless of whether you believe in superstitions about right eye twitching or not, it is important to take care of your eyes. Here are some ways to give your eyes the much needed rest:
Get Good Quality Sleep
It may just be that your eyes are tired from a lack of sleep. Not sleeping well enough or long enough can make the eye muscles go in an involuntary spasm. It is important to catch up on your sleep if this is the case.
If you are tired and experience a lot of eye twitching, you can also try putting on a warm compress to soothe the eyes. Soak a hand towel or facecloth in warm water and apply it to the eyes to relax the eye muscles.
Try To Destress and Take It Easy
Our body reacts to stress in different ways. Even something as small as an eye that twitches could be a sign of stress.
Because stress puts a great deal of tension on the muscles, they may experience a rush of hormones and unusual blood flow. In the case of eye muscles, this can result in eye twitching.
Your eye may also twitch if you are physically fatigued. We all know that fatigue affects the bigger muscles of the body; we feel it more. Think aches and pains in the legs, arms and back. But fatigue also has a way of affecting smaller muscles as well.
Eyes that work too hard or suffer from vision problems can easily become fatigued and result in experiencing eye twitching.
Avoid Eye Strain
You may be tiring your eyes out unnecessarily. This can happen when you need glasses but do have them, or do not wear them. Such vision related eye strain can cause your eyes to work harder or make you squint to see clearer.
Continuous, unwanted squinting may also make your eyes twitch more often. Other factors like working in bad lighting can also strain your eyes and exhaust them.
Another cause of eye strain can happen when you sit for too long in front of the computer. In this case, experts recommend using the 20-20-20 rule. This rule means that you work on you device for 20 minutes. Then you look away at a distant object, at least 20 feet away. Hold your gaze at this spot for at least 20 seconds before returning it back to your screen.
Following this rule with significantly reduce eye muscle fatigue that may be causing your eye to twitch.
Avoid Drinking Too Much Caffeine
Having too much caffeine can also trigger eye twitching. If you feel that you eye has started twitching too much, cut back on your caffeine intake. This includes all options like tea, coffee, chocolate and soft drinks.
If you find it hard to eliminate caffeine completely, then try switching to decaffeinated varieties. Just see if reducing caffeine helps with managing your eye twitching.
Consume less alcohol
Like caffeine, alcohol consumption can also trigger eye twitching. To see if this is indeed the cause of your twitch, abstain from having alcohol for a bit. If you notice a difference, then you will know the cause of your eye twitching.
Prevent Dry Eyes
Many people suffer from a condition known as dry eyes. This happens when there is insufficient lubrication in the eyes. Not having enough moisture on the surface of the eye can cause it to twitch uncontrollably.
Even though dry eyes have nothing to do with right eye twitching superstition, it can cause eyes to twitch a lot. Plus, people who suffer from dry eyes, also experience some degree of constant eye irritation. Sometimes, this can develop into noticeable inflammation of the eyes.
Nourish Your Eyes Properly
A lack of certain nutrients can also cause eyes to twitch. Nutrients necessary for good eye health include vitamins B12, D and magnesium among others. If you do not have sufficient supplies of these nutrients in the body, then you may suffer from extensive and frequent eye twitching.
To supplement these nutrients, you should eat a lot of greens for magnesium. Insufficient magnesium can have an effect on the muscular workings of the body and may cause eyes to twitch more often.
Take supplements for vitamin B12 as a deficiency can cause muscle spasms, soreness, and tingling.
And try to get some sun every day to replenish vitamin D. If vitamin D levels are low, your body does not absorb as much calcium. This can result in weaker bones and possibly eye twitching as calcium is important for muscle contractions.
Also try to keep well hydrated as even mild dehydration can bring about dry eyes which can lead to eye twitching. If you think that your eye twitching may be because of a lack of electrolytes, consume water or sports drinks.
Be Aware Of Your Allergies
Allergies and right eye twitching superstitions have nothing in common. But they can both cause eyes to twitch. People who have allergies often experience itching, swelling and watery eyes. As a result, they may involuntarily rub their eyes too much.
Eye rubbing can cause the release of histamine into the eyelids. This is relevant as histamine can also contribute to eye twitching. People who suffer from allergies need to know the cause of their condition and take medication to prevent the symptoms accordingly.